Monday, December 30, 2013

So Tell Me How This Works Again...

Back when the prospect of being a living kidney donor began to look like more of a certainty than a distant possibility, I decided that I should inform my boss.  I felt that it was only fair that he be aware so that he could prepare for my eventual absence from work and the likely work restrictions when I returned.  In the days that followed, word spread around my job fairly quickly.  I have been asked many questions, most well-meaning and innocent, by my co-workers.  I have tried to be as candid as possible, while also letting them know that this is a process that takes some time.  I haven't really gone into great detail with them (I'm not one who gets a kick out of telling my co-workers that I had to pee in a bottle and keep it in my fridge or a cooler overnight).  One of the most bizarre questions (in my mind) was if I get paid for donating.  I was honestly floored, as I thought it was common knowledge that only shady characters with ties to the mob paid people for their organs.  Once I got myself together and picked my jaw up off the floor, I *cautiously* responded that no, I do not get paid to do this, and asked what prompted the question.  *Side Note: the person that asked this question was quite young, and not at all knowledgeable in "grown-up" stuff.  This person said that because people get paid to "donate" plasma, it made sense to them that one would get paid to donate a kidney.  I had to let her down gently, explaining that it is in fact against the law to accept payment for an organ.  
*Side Note #2: I put donation in quotes when referring to plasma because I don't see getting paid or compensated in anyway for donating a life-saving organ, blood or blood-product, or tissue as donating it.  My personal views regarding that issue are if you accept money for it, you're selling it.  Feel free to disagree.
 www.donatingplasma.org has information on how, where, and why one would need blood plasma. 

I spoke with my donor coordinator this afternoon.  All my labwork (remember the pee?) came back with great results.  I did my 2 hour glucose test the day after Christmas, and as I expected I felt like garbage for the rest of the day and the day after that too.  Spiking my blood sugar out of the atmosphere and letting it crash back to earth is never a good time, despite what they say.  We also solidified my appointment for "Donor Day".  To refresh your memory, it's the day-long appointment at the hospital that the transplant is to take place, during which I meet with my part of the transplant team and finish up my pre-donation testing.  I'll likely have to pee in more cups, bleed into more tubes, have electrodes stuck to my body, and be turned into Radioactive Girl.  I was assured that not one donor has left the hospital glowing, so I should leave with no super powers as well (bummer!!!).  Well friends, this may very well be my last post for 2013Be safe, have fun, and have a very Happy New Year!  May 2014 be good to us all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment