Monday, January 27, 2014

Watch out for those speedbumps!

I got an email from my coordinator today; the results from my hypercoagulopathy study redraw came back.  One of the numbers is still pretty high.  I'm not 100% sure what that means from a donation standpoint.  There are a few things that cause it and there are a few things that it can cause.  The results are going to be sent back to nephrology and rheumatology, and we will go from there.  I am anticipating having to have more tests run, and I don't mind at all.  I knew that there was a small chance that something like this could happen; they are analyzing every single system in my body, and with the amount of blood they have taken from me, I'm surprised that the results didn't just pop up from one of the tubes.  So basically, I have defective blood.  Based on the rest of the lab results, it has no effect on my kidney function, which in turn will not affect function once said kidney (from what I have been told, the left one is being transplanted.  Let's call it Lefty from now on, shall we?) is transplanted.  Lefty and her counterpart Steve are functioning exceptionally well, so my defective blood is solely a "me" issue.  Also, there are unconfirmed rumors floating around that we may be doing this transplant in 5-ish weeks.  I've not heard that officially, but I'm planning as though this may happen in 5-ish weeks.  I am looking up freezer and crock-pot meals, amassing reading material and quiet projects like crocheting and knitting (or some semblance of said activity that will likely look like I took the yarn and knotted it into a "scarf"), and ways to entertain a toddler when he begs to sit on my lap in the first few days.  I have also considered making "cough pillows" for myself and J.  I'm thinking of a Doctor Who theme, and a small patch on his that says "I have new kidneys!  I don't like the colour. ~12"  I think it's quite appropriate, don't you?

We (J and I) have had a couple conversations about whether or not he will "inherit" some of my quirky traits after transplant.  Apparently this is a thing; recipients sometimes start exhibiting similar behaviors to their donors.  We were also just joking about our in-hospital accomodations.  As it was described to me, I will be staying in a private Donor Suite, the Hospital Hilton if you will.  I am not sure what kind of room J will be in, but I can only assume it will not be a stretcher in the hallway.  We also have a friendly wager going on who visits whom first.  The stakes: french fries from McD's.  We are simple creatures.  

All righty friends, it is late and I must shop for a new couch.  And do the dishes.  And switch over the laundry.  See, I'm really just an ordinary girl!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment